Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Hawaii 2008...

So some of you knew that part of my lack of blogging was due to a much needed vacation that Jen, Glady, and I went on with Jen's parents. Either way, if you didn't know, now you do. We went to Maui for two weeks right after my birthday and it was awesome! I had only been to Hawaii once before for the honeymoon in July and as beautiful as it was it was a little too hot for me. But I must say that going to Maui in January is the BEST! We stayed at a place called the Maui Sunset which is in Kihei and has been a time share in the Richards family since the late 70's. It is such a great place. It's clean, well kept, right on the beach, private, close to everything, and the best thing about it is that every night there was a yodeler! He would come out at 8pm and bust some yodels for all to hear. Everyone would come out on the lanai's to listen and cheer. Glady LOVED it and so did we!

While we were there we went out to lots of great restaurants. One is called "Bada Bings" which was a classic New York Italian place. We went to "Bubba Gumps," and a place called "Da Kitchen" which is one of the best local foods joint around. Besides the food we did a lot of sight seeing, wineries, hikes, the aquarium, beaches, snorkeling, hanging out at the pool, and just hanging out! The two Sundays we were there we visited Calvary Chapel Maui it was right down the street from where we were staying and it reminded us of home. The worship was terrific and the teaching was pretty good too.

Some other highlights...

* Glady playing on the beach and in the water! - She just loved it and we bought her this clear backpack full of sand toys that she carried everywhere - [see pictures below]
* Having time to read some great books
* Phil's wonderful fruit smoothies every night - and yes I did have some pineapple and didn't vomit :) - but for the record, although it was by far the best tasting pineapple I had ever had, I still would never choose/desire to have it. But the drinks Phil was mixing were tasty!
* Long walks along the beach and in Lahina
* Date nights out - especially discovering Bada Bings and the restaurant we went to with the surprise terrific view of the beach luau
* And last but not least CARLs JR. I got to indulge myself with the tasty double western burger - which never disappoints! Oh, if God would only bless Seattle with a Carls!

There was so much about the trip that was great. Big Big Thanks to Jan and Phil for letting us stay with them, for the date nights they provides for us by watching Glady, and for just an incredible time! We love ya!

Hey, make sure to scroll down to check out a bunch of pictures from the trip and thanks again for stopping by!

6 comments:

Bridget Beth said...

Fun! I love all your pictures!

anne said...

Happy belated birthday! Ben and I stayed at the Maui Sunset for our honeymoon...small world.

If you get that Carl's Jr. craving anytime soon, you can make the trek out to Covington...we have one near our house now. :)

Glad to hear you guy had such a great time!

Abbey said...

LOVE all the pictures! The time in Hawaii looked fabulous... We went with the Petersons when Sarah was 8mo., and it'd be fun to go back now that she's older... How is it that Spokane gets a Carl's and we don't?

Kayce aka lucy said...

i have really enjoyed catching up on your comings and goings. glady is an absolute doll. i really like the photo of you in the hat :-)

Rich Sclafani said...

Hey all thanks for the comments!

Anne - that is so cool that you stayed there! It is such a great place I wish I was still there! And man I got to move to Covington!

Abbey - Thanks for the words. It was a great time. Man even Spokane has a Carls!!! That is crazy!

Lucy [kc] - thanks for stopping by! I tried to put your words of blogging encouragement into action. you are so much better at doing this consistently! we got to do dinner sometime soon! Oh and yeah that is one of my personal favorite pictures too! :)

Anonymous said...

WOAH MAN! When you decide to catch up on blogging, you blow us away!!! Talk about a gold mine of pictures and events. I was so sick of coming to your blog only to find George Costanza's dad wishing me a Merry Christmas.

You KNOW I loved the pics of Miss Glady in her adorable swimsuits and hats. Good grief, could she BE ANY CUTER??? And your wife is a hottie too. But I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that eh? You were looking pretty buff yourself in that pic with the boogie board! :-)

Thanks for blogging my friend. Even though it made me incredibly jealous. (we stayed just down the road from Kihei on our honeymoon - in Makena - beautiful - I dream of it all the time)