Friday, June 03, 2005

What makes Christian music Christian?

As a lover of music, I find myself often falling in love with the lyrics, melodies, and rhythems of songs that are not of the "Christian Music Genre." Sometimes in fact, I find these songs to express the Gospel or good news of the hope of glory and redemption of our souls even more so then most of the music I hear on the "Christian" music stations. Why is that? What makes a song or lyric Christian or not? Is it the writer, is it the words, is it the content, is it the emotions that come from hearing it, or something else? One of the things I love most about The Message is that it is story. And we relate to it because we all have our own story. And for me music is in many ways the creative way people tell the stories of life and the interaction of God within it - through song.

Examples of songs that I believe speak of/illustrate the stories of the Gospel...

I Grieve - Peter Gabriel
God Put a Smile Upon My Face - Coldplay
Devils and Dust - Bruce Springsteen
Sometimes - U2
Blowin In The Wind - Bob Dylan
Save Me - Dave Matthews
Everything - Alanis Morissete
Jesus Walks - Kanye West
The Reason - Hoobastank

I am not saying that every lyric of these songs are "theologically accurate" nor do I believe they need to. I am simply saying that these lyrics/songs/stories speak to the matters of the heart in such a way that causes people to ponder the things of God. AND I LOVE THAT! I could go into this more, but a friend and professor of mine wrote an incredibly good article on this topic. I'd love you to read it and I'd love your thought on this conversation.

Click here to read the article ischristianmusicchristian?

And even more so I would love any songs that you would add to this list [knowing this is no where near complete]. Songs that have nudged you deeper into your walk with God.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before you can answer that question you need to define what you are calling "Christian".
Ellen B.

Rich Sclafani said...

I understand your question Ellen. And don't get me wrong, I think a definition of "Christian" is important, but do you need to know the definition of "Rock," "Jazz," "Blues," "Country," "Alternative," "Emo," "Hardcore," "Metal," or any other type/genre of music in order to understand why a station plays it verses another song? Why does the band Switchfoot, for instance, get played on multiple style stations vs. other "Christian" bands? I find it hard to believe that it is just based on a definition. Who makes this definition? God or some corporate music guru? Interested in hearing from you and others!

Anonymous said...

ahh these thoughts are beyond the question, "what makes christian music christian?" They are interesting thoughts. Is it the music label that makes a song christian? Is it the person singing it that makes a song Christian? Is it a radio staion that makes a song Christian? Are the lyrics what make a song Christian? If God speaks to you through a songs lyrics does that make it Christian? You've certainly opened up an interesting discussion. One that would be fun to engage in face to face:)
blessings Ellen B.
For me pesonally, any music that makes me praise my maker is good music. I associate the joy I experience in any creative work to my God and my creator and saviour. This includes works that are not necessarily that of a "Christian" artist. The Beatles, Andrea Bocelli, Matt Redman, they all make me praise my maker.

Anonymous said...

Rich, have you ever read "Addicted to Mediocrity" by Francis Shaefer? It is about music (and all art), and how it is innately Godly yet we interestingly try to divide it into "secular" and "spiritual" and how it can't always be done easily. My parents gave it to me in high school and I always thought it was really interessting. Good thoughts. And may I say "Amen, brother!!" :)

Rich Sclafani said...

Thanks for responding Ellen! You are awesome! I appreciate your words. It would be fun to chat about over some coffee and "Good" music! Beattles and Bocelli are also some of my fav's! :)

Rich Sclafani said...

OH ERIN!

Thanks for the book recommendation! I had not heard of that one. I have read other Shaefer books, but that one sounds awesome! And knowing you liked it makes me love it!

And by the way, you were right the new Coldplay kicks!

Anonymous said...

Any time, my literary-wonderful friend, any time at all. It's rare I can bring something up in the arts arena that you haven't already heard of. :)

Rich Sclafani said...

Oh Erin!

I beg to differ! You are the one that always knows all the buzz in the entertainment biz! :)

Anonymous said...

You guys posted these blogs a while ago, but I stumbled across them and thought I'd mention a very provocative book called "The Christian & Rock Music" by Dr. Samuele Bacchiocchi...