Monday, March 05, 2007

life moves...

In the last few days I have experiened community, joy, laughter, frustration, hurt, deep loss of a dear friend who passed away, visions for the future, communion with other saints, anger, rest, tears, deception, the fall of an amazing man, shock, love, questioning, counseling, leadership, the problems of evil, grace, and then I read the following post from Eugene Cho which really hit me in my role as a pastor.

the issue is very simple: the ministerial profession (life as pastors) is now considered one of the most dangerous or unhealthiest profession. it’s usually rated last or second to last. nice.

Read this:

48% of them think their work is hazardous to their family’s well being. Another 45.5% will experience burnout or depression that will make them leave their jobs. And 70% say their self-esteem is lower now than when they started their position. They have the 2nd highest divorce rate among professions.

Who are they? They are pastors…[read the full article]

While I love being a pastor and even more, being called to be a pastor, I want folks to know how incredibly difficult it is at times to handle the complexities and stress of being a minister. Finally, at the age of 36, I feel more at peace at how to create boundaries, love my church, deeply care for my wife and children, but I worry that I am failing my staff and pastors at the church I planted 5+ years ago. They are such amazing people who have given and sacrificed so much because of their love for Jesus, this church, and their partnership with me.

Want to read more overwhelming statistics:

* 80% of pastors say they have insufficient time with spouse and that ministry has a negative effect on their family.
* 40% report a serious conflict with a parishioner once a month.
* 33% say that being in ministry is an outright hazard to their family.
* 75% report they’ve had significant stress-related crisis at least once in their ministry.
* 58% of pastors indicate that their spouse needs to work either part time or full time to supplement the family income.
* 56% of pastors’ wives say they have no close friends.
* Pastors who work fewer than 50 hrs/week are 35% more likely to be terminated.
* 40% of pastors considered leaving the pastorate in the past three months.

Simply, pastors are underpaid, underappreciated, and at times, undermined. My point is very simple: Please care, pray, and love your pastors (and church staff) in your local churches. Seriously, give them a nice payraise, more time off, regular opportunities to get away for even a day retreat to pray, buy them some dinner certificates, honor their spouses, love their children, and regularly share your appreciation and affirmation.


So why would I even want to be a pastor, to put my family through all of this? Good question. The truth is in the midst of all that I have experienced in these last days God has been there through it all. In both the glorious and the places of darkness and depravity there is redemption. I so long for everyone no matter where they are in there jouney of life to be able to experience the truth of this.

I can't imagine anyone going through life without it.

And because of this I am still a pastor.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fight the good fight!
Praying for you!

Rich Sclafani said...

thanks lu i need them!

Kayce aka lucy said...

what a week! what a life! did you know that "lucy" means light? may you be surrounded by light in your life.

blessings to you and your family. k

Anonymous said...

Rich,
I just read your note and am praying for you now. Your note and the article blow
me away!! Though I am aware of the big
pressure all clergy are under. It is a
big job with that retirement plan that is out of this world, but needs more help while here on earth! Will continue
to keep you all in my prayers.Jan

Anonymous said...

Rich, my dear friend! I need to call you. Love you...